June 15th Friday


This culture encounters many problems just like others do as well. They have many patients suffering from substance abuse, diabetes, noncompliance, lack of preventative care, abuse, suicide, and lack of prenatal care. This culture has a hard time going to see a physician for care because many are still in their old ways and don’t want to go get care. It is difficult for some as well to be compliant with their medications especially diabetic patients. It is harder for them to control their diabetes because of the poverty and hard for them to eat healthy.



Yes, I noticed that they have prevalent conditions in this community such as diabetes, cirrhosis, substance abuse, assault, suicidal ideation, and liver disease. This disease is related to possibly all the above genetics, culture, and deficient knowledge. I noticed that many of the patients that came in today talked about how they didn’t like to go to the doctor. It is related to deficient knowledge and some may not want to go because of their history trauma. They also suffer from poverty which leads to eating unhealthily. They also suffer from substance abuse because many have trauma from the past that leads to liver diseases.



Nurses have a huge role of educating their patients. The nurse I was with today spoke to me about how many patients do a no shows for their appointments on screening days. Fox example today was pap smear day and the first four patients were no shows. The health maintenance is very important in this community.  The nurse spoke to me about how they are rated on how many patients do their health screenings every year. The nurses speak with the patients and try to encourage them to come in for their screenings every year.



The center of the health care to me in my opinion is the nurse she has a huge role in this community. I notice they are looked up to vs. in our community the doctors are the ones that everyone looks up to. I love that the nurses are appreciated so well in this community I wish it was like that back home. Many of this nurse are doing many wonderful things for the community. Like Kim is so involved in the substance abuse center which is amazing. I love that she is so involved in it and that she is a nurse. She shows that she really cares about the community.



This experience has been completely different than any other experience, but I really enjoyed it I would honestly say that I would be so happy to work at a hospital like this one because they really care about their patients and the workers. Everyday I was their it amazed me how they all worked together so well, and they were always so patient centered about everything. I wish they did what they do at Cherokee hospital back home because it is amazing the work that they do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June 14th Thursday

June 12th Tuesday